Sunday, 23 July 2017

Static Interference Baby Blanket - Welcome Corbyn

Puppilalla Original Design, Foundation Paper Piecing, FPP, Blithe Fabric, Katarina Roccella, Baby Quilt, Baby Blanket, Modern Quilt, Low Volume Quilt, Static Interference Quilt Block


Do you remember the 'Blithe Fabric' blog tour by Katarina Roccella in February? I brought up the rear on the 1st of March when I presented a baby quilt top made in my own design. I am very pleased to report that the blanket got finished when the intended recipient was born. 

Puppilalla Original Design, Foundation Paper Piecing, FPP, Blithe Fabric, Katarina Roccella, Baby Quilt, Baby Blanket, Modern Quilt, Low Volume Quilt, Static Interference Quilt Block









Alright, here it is, the first finished object made from a pattern of my own. The block is called ‘Static Interference’ and can be put together in various ways to make very different repeats. Here I have chosen the arrangement that was the most different from what you might have seen previously. The ornaments remind me of Japanese 'kawaii' computer game characters somehow.




Provided you spent enough time with it the most amazing things tends to feel ordinary after a while. This is what happened here now that the marvel of the fact that I worked with my very first own design has worn off a bit. I guess it is time to revive the excitement. =) 


Puppilalla Original Design, Foundation Paper Piecing, FPP, Blithe Fabric, Katarina Roccella, Baby Quilt, Baby Blanket, Modern Quilt, Low Volume Quilt, Static Interference Quilt Block


The baby blanket was made almost exclusively from Katarina Roccella’s ‘Blithe’ fabrics, paired with other AGF prints. I cut the fabric in a way to maintain little I-spy-with-my-little-eye elements, so you can find little birds, rabbits and deer peeping out here and there.

Puppilalla Original Design, Foundation Paper Piecing, FPP, Blithe Fabric, Katarina Roccella, Baby Quilt, Baby Blanket, Modern Quilt, Low Volume Quilt, Static Interference Quilt Block

Puppilalla Original Design, Foundation Paper Piecing, FPP, Blithe Fabric, Katarina Roccella, Baby Quilt, Baby Blanket, Modern Quilt, Low Volume Quilt, Static Interference Quilt Block


The colours on the front somehow made choosing the backing fabric a little difficult. Given the softness of the colours I did not want anything that would be grating or popping. I finally settled for a purple cotton print with silver blossoms and wispy leaves. Generally, I thought it a bit too sombre for a baby quilt but hoped to soften that impression with the rose coloured binding.


Puppilalla Original Design, Foundation Paper Piecing, FPP, Blithe Fabric, Katarina Roccella, Baby Quilt, Baby Blanket, Modern Quilt, Low Volume Quilt, Static Interference Quilt Block


I already gifted the blanket to my friend, who gave birth to her second son two weeks ago. Since I made my very first quilt ever for her first son in 2008, I guess it fair to say that I have come a long way. My own design, yeah! =)


Puppilalla Original Design, Foundation Paper Piecing, FPP, Blithe Fabric, Katarina Roccella, Baby Quilt, Baby Blanket, Modern Quilt, Low Volume Quilt, Static Interference Quilt Block


Puppilalla Original Design, Foundation Paper Piecing, FPP, Blithe Fabric, Katarina Roccella, Baby Quilt, Baby Blanket, Modern Quilt, Low Volume Quilt, Static Interference Quilt Block


I fully intend to use the block as my bee block when I turn royalty in August. Who doesn’t like paper piecing, right? I have a colour scheme or two in mind but might have to check the realities of my stash before setting out make the test blocks. It is going to be a different repeat and it is going to be beautiful.


Puppilalla Original Design, Foundation Paper Piecing, FPP, Blithe Fabric, Katarina Roccella, Baby Quilt, Baby Blanket, Modern Quilt, Low Volume Quilt, Static Interference Quilt Block


















kjhk

2 comments:

  1. Katrin, this is beautiful! Love those mustards with the purple and grays and that you left in little eye spy elements, in the way that you cut the fabrics. Congrats on this finish! I'm sure your friend loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky friend, the first quilt ever and now the first own-design quilt :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete