Thursday, 8 December 2016

Up the Ante #7 - I Could While Away The Hours...

Before I write about my forward look for 2017 it might be opportune to stop and review at what stage my various projects currently are. 


Quilt blocks, sampler quilt, Puppilalla, improv piecing, foundation paper piecing
























Like my 'Up the Ante' sampler project, which grows steadily although the process has become fairly random. When I started out, I wanted to do specific blocks from some Block-of-the-month Craftsy classes to learn new techniques. For a while I did just that but quickly began to construct whichever block took my fancy at a time. I am surprised just how many blocks I  already have stitched up this year, considering that it is not on my official 'want-to-get-done' list at all.  =)

I put those blocks down as above for an IG snapshot when we were asked what we were currently doing with our scraps. I am getting excited about putting the blocks together to a quilt top at some point next year.

So what's new? Last, as previously mentioned, I had slightly amended the 'Anne's Flower' block and the colours flow much better now.


Anne's Flower Block, Puppilalla, Quilting, Sampler Quilt
after

before


I also was constructing flying geese from triangle and other scraps only. These will be used as fill-in pieces on a need be basis. All blocks have completely different sizes and there will be plenty of gaps to fill in.



Here I had not been paying attention. I had two pieces of equal size of that blue dotted Joel Dewberry print and I had wanted to use them both in a rather different block. I did not think of that at the time I made the 'Plus' block and just went with a fabric combination I liked. I still like it. Then however I saw the other fabric piece peeking out of the scrap pile remembering. Best laid plans right?  =)


Quilting, Plus block, Puppilalla



I had counted the amount of fabrics used up until now but now I cannot find just where I noted down that number. Ah well ... Anyhow, I very much like the relaxedness of that project and am looking forward to keep working on it.

On a side note, I am very excited to read that Rachel Hauser @Stitched in Color will offer her Penny Sampler Class again in 2017. Her amazing design serves as inspiration piece and guiding principle for my own sampler quilt for which I intend to use Rachel's broken border approach. I am seriously contemplating to sign up but then again the quilty project plan for next year looks so busy already that I might not.

Decisions, decisions



I join up with 'Let's Bee Social'


Sew Fresh Quilts



6 comments:

  1. Like the blocks and colour setting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All beautiful work Katrin. I know what you mean about signing up for things. I always think I can do more than I am capable of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous blocks and a lovely colour palette. I love the idea of constructing a quilt from whatever block you feel like making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how all these blocks are coming together. They are going to look great with the little flying geese filling in the gaps. Such a beautiful color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many lovely things going on right now ..... it will be interesting to see how they develop on 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you don't need the class - your sampler is looking epic without help! :-D I love the colours you're using, and imo there's nothing better than those sneaky little blocks that tuck into corners and add interest where you least expect it, like those little flying geese.
    Looking forward to seeing where this goes :-)
    E xx

    ReplyDelete