Saturday, 23 July 2016

Stash Bee 2016 - Double Square Star #2 - Bee Mail

Missouri Star Quilts, Double Square Star Block, Quilting Bee, Stash Bee, Puppilalla

My big, bold and beautiful Stash Bee blocks have arrived. I have laid them out randomly for a first impression. 















Yes, they turned out rather colourful. I like the jewelled tones but as the individual blocks are quite big (16 1/2 x 16 1/2 unfinished),  I cannot help feeling somewhat overwhelmed as well. I had feared that I might.  =)

Missouri Star Quilts, Double Square Star Block, Quilting Bee, Stash Bee, Puppilalla






I think there might be too many colours in here. The blocks might calm down somewhat if I take out the units that are blue and green. If I do - the pink, yellow, purple and orange might harmonize better. What do you think? Any suggestions.

Missouri Star Quilts, Double Square Star Block, Quilting Bee, Stash Bee, Puppilalla

It is of course also a question on how assemble these pretty blocks to their best effect.  =)

Missouri Star Quilts, Double Square Star Block, Quilting Bee, Stash Bee, Puppilalla

A
As this project is not on my Finish-A-Long list this quarter, it will have to await its turn, while I work on other projects. Until then, these cheerful blocks will adorn my bedroom wall. Washi tape is the best. 

Back to the kitchen now. I am in the process of preparing a rice salad with mango, turkey and green celeriac for a BBQ tommorow.


=)

10 comments:

  1. Hallo,
    ich habe die Blöcke schon bei Stashbee bewundert. Besser gefällt mir die versetzte Anordnung, da musst Du halt die Lücken noch schließen bzw. entweder mit halben Sternen arbeiten, oder lieber nur das schöne Blau nehmen. Wenn ich ehrlich bin stört mich eigentlich nur der mit dem grün drin. Schön ist er schon, passt aber nicht so zu den anderen. Vielleicht ja als Kissen o.ä, dazu.
    Grüße
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a yellow quarter in each block. Turning that in the same direction for each block might help you tame the randomness. You could also balance the green by adding another two blocks. It is not off, just lonely :) I really like all your blocks. It will be such an energizing and powerful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you really want to tone it down try taking out the four blocks with the lemony yellow. They stand out as this is the contrast colour to your aqua.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm absolutely of no use to you because I don't mind the chaos. Maybe if you try mixing them up a bit more and re orienting the yellows. i think I prefer them in lined up rows rather than staggered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, it's the blocks with the large prints that make it more chaotic. The suggestion of putting the yellows in towards the center is an interesting idea and would like to see a photo of that. But then, I like the blocks offset better than lined up. Will be fun to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like the offset blocks more than lined up. The green is a bit lonely and I agree that the large prints pop up a lot and make it chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You already got so many nice ideas! I have nothing to add just that I liked the offset blocks more, too. Curious what you will like best after playing around :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your thoughts on this one. I do not mind the big prints. I specifically asked for them after all. Grouping colours to tame the randomness sounds like a good idea and I think I too like the offset configuration better. =) OK, I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How could I miss this one?! Katrin I love it. If you think it is too loud I would suggest dense quilting. Straight lines or a net - will flatten everything. That's what I think :) Or I can take it from you, cause it's beautiful :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall bear this in mind Maja. =) If I am not in love with the quilt by the time it is finished, you are my number one recipient.

      Delete